The Charles B. Wang Community Health Center understands that quitting tobacco products is hard. It is possible to quit and we are here to help. Our Quit Smoking Program offers nicotine patches and gum for adults at no cost. Our Certified Tobacco Treatment Specialists provide free in-person and phone counseling for patients and community members.
Will it make a difference if I quit today?
Quitting smoking will improve your health no matter how old you are or how long you have smoked. In fact, the sooner you quit smoking, the sooner your body can start to heal. You may notice some benefits quickly, but you will see even more over time.
- In 1 hour, your heart rate and blood pressure will drop
- In a few weeks, you will start to cough less and breathe easier
- In 1 year, your risk of having a heart attack will fall significantly
- In 2 to 5 years, your risk of having a stroke is reduced to a level similar to a nonsmoker
- In 10 years, your risk of lung cancer is significantly reduced
- Over time, your risk for other conditions, including mouth, some cancers, and diabetes continue to fall
- Quitting smoking will also help you save money and protect your loved ones from secondhand smoke